Wednesday, September 26, 2012

being a parent is hard...

But I'm not talking about what you are thinking.  Sure dirty diapers, late night feedings, PUMPING, getting peed and pooped on are all hard, but i'm talking about emotionally.  About 2 weeks after she was born, we all (bryan, my mom, and me) thought she was looking small still.  My mom and I took her in to the doctor just to get a weight check.  She had only gained a couple of ounces from her lowest point of 6 lbs 9 oz.  She was born at 7 lbs 8 oz.  Her pediatrician said to just try and feed her more often.  He thought she would be fine, but, to come back in a few days to check her weight again.  After being even more vigilant about feedings, waking her up, which was really hard to do, she still hadn't gained hardly anything.  The pediatrician said she was starving and that's why she wasn't gaining weight.  I didn't know how this was possible since I had been so careful to feed her every two hours.  That pediatrician made me feel like crap.  She didn't try and figure out why she wasn't gaining weight, she just gave us some formula and said "okay, feed her this".  That was it.  I was bawling, thinking I was a horrible mother.  I tried my hardest and failed completely.  The best thing that pediatrician ever did was give me the number of a lactation consultant.  The lactation consultant came over to my home that night and laid all my fears to rest.  After watching olive nurse, she came to the conclusion that olive wasn't sucking correctly.  Basically olive was just lapping up what milk she could and wasn't getting anything extra.  So when I thought I was feeding her for a long time, she wasn't getting hardly anything.  The lactation consultant came up with a plan to help us get back on track.  After a lot of work and stress, olive weighs over 8 lbs and is still gaining :)  

My heart just ached when she would cry...I would give anything to make my little girl happy and healthy.  That is why being a parent is hard.  The worrying and heartache and worrying!  I would hold her in my arms and just cry and plead with her to just EAT!  I'm so grateful for the lactation consultant who helped figure out WHY she wasn't eating rather than just saying, here have this formula.  I am just glad she is back on track :) I didn't know I could love her THIS much.  That baby girl makes me so happy.

And now for some pictures...

look at those big peepers!

happy girl
grandma lynne got some smiles out of her :)


6 comments:

  1. What a little angel you are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's beautiful!!!!! Absolutely and utterly beautiful! I'm sorry you had to go through that I'm glad she's better though! Miss you guys! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetheart! So glad that you're both doing well!! Being a parent is stressful- the emotional stuff is the hardest, you're right! She is so beautiful and you are a wonderful mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get rid of that pediatrician!!! They should make you feel confident and secure, grrrr that makes me so mad. I have changed a few times and it makes it so worth it when you get someone that cares about you as a new mom and the baby. So glad you found the lactation consultant. I had one too, and she saved us! Still going strong at 9 months! Olive is lovely, and so is your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that you need a new pediatrician! I am glad it all worked out...I remember all those emotional times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Olive is adorable.
    2. I echo the sentiments above--switch pediatricians.
    3. I also hated pumping...hated it.
    4. I'm glad Olive is gaining weight again--I know the first little while is super stressful, but I promise it gets better! You will constantly worry about your baby no matter how old she is, but the first few months are especially worrisome.

    ReplyDelete